A New Level of Security in the Palm of Your Hand
MBT Bank's personal and business debit cards are now enhanced with EMV chip technology. These new chip cards include enhanced security features and are able to be used at both chip-enabled and the traditional magnetic stripe terminals anywhere VISA is accepted globally.
Reasons You'll Love Your New Chip Card
- Additional Security - Each card is equipped with an encrypted microchip, making it difficult for your card data to be copied or counterfeited. Chip technology has been proven to reduce card-present fraud.
- Easier to Use - When using a chip-enabled terminal or ATM, simply insert the card and leave it there while following the prompts on the machine. Chip cards still include a magnetic stripe, and can be used at traditional terminals as well.
- Accepted Globally - Chip cards are now the standard with U.S. and international merchants. You may use your card with confidence in over 80 countries
How to Use Your Chip Card
At a chip-enabled terminal:
Step 1: Insert your EMV chip card with the chip toward the terminal, facing up. Leave the card in the terminal until prompted to remove it.
Step 2: Follow the prompts on the terminal and wait for the transaction to be processed. You may be asked to sign or enter your pin, but some transactions may not require either.
Step 3: Remove your chip card after the terminal indicates that the transaction is complete.
At an ATM:
1. Insert your chip card into the ATM as you've always done.
2. If prompted, re-insert your card and leave in the reader until prompted to remove.
3. Remove your chip card from the ATM once your transaction is complete.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is an EMV chip card?
A: A card with an encrypted microchip that makes it more difficult for your card data to be copied or counterfeited. EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard® and Visa®—the three organizations that developed the initial technology.
Q: How is this card different from a traditional magnetic stripe card?
A: A chip card looks just like a traditional card with an embedded chip in addition to the standard magnetic stripe on the back of the card. Rather than swiping your card, you will insert your chip card into the chip-enabled terminal to complete the transaction.
Q: Where can I use my chip card?
A: You can still make purchases anywhere that accepts MasterCard® debit cards and Visa® credit cards, including in-person, online and over-the-phone merchants. If a merchant does not have a chip card terminal, you can swipe your chip card at a traditional terminal using the magnetic stripe on the back of the card. You can also continue to use your card at ATMs.